Starting a new job can be stressful and it can also be exciting. There are many reasons people leave a job and go to another one, but no matter what job you start it is always the same, a fresh start. Maybe you wanted to leave your job because you felt under appreciated, someone kept trying to take your job, people were mean to you, you didn’t know how to do the job, it was to much stress, but no matter the reason you need to go into the new job with a fresh start in mind. Sometimes you don’t leave the company, but just changed departments or maybe you stayed in the same department, but you have a new role in the company. No matter what the situation is, you still need to look at it as a fresh start.
How to give your new job a fresh start:
- Leave any negativity behind. By brining old drama to the new job you block your creativity and thoughts for the new one, because you will only focus on the negativity of the old. If the reason you left your old job was because of negativity then thinking about that still will mean that you didn’t really leave your old job, it is still with you.
- Leave any frustrations behind. If there was something that was frustrating about your job before then you need to address what that was and make sure you do not do the same things in your new job. This is an opportunity to put those frustrations aside and go forward. If the frustrations are something that can be corrected then this is the time to do it.
- Be positive!! I can not stress the importance of this one. No matter how your day is going be positive. A negative mind will ruin your job before it starts. Whatever issues that you had with the old job this is the time to fix them in yourself. A negative mind will only see the bad in things. When you remain positive you do not have stress. If you keep thinking that things will work out then they will. That is the same if you think things are going to fail, they will. Go into the job saying to yourself that you will be successful! You will do an amazing job!
- Reflect on yourself. This is something that we all should do more often. It is an amazing thing when you can look at yourself and realize that you can do something better. Look at what you did great in your past job and look at what you might have failed in your last job. Now are there things that you could have done differently to change the outcome? Use that to be more successful in your new job. Make sure to take the things that you do really well to your next job. Sometimes we focus to much on what we need to do better that we forget to strengthen what we do well. If you focus on the things you do well, you will do them even better.
- Have fun!! If you are going to a new company you will be meeting all new people. Make new friends and develop those relationships. We can learn so much from other people if we just take our pride out of the equation and listen. Use that to your advantage. There will be new restaurants that you can try for lunch. Maybe you will find a food that you had never tried and end up loving it. Learn new things. Not every job is the same and we should constantly be learning new things. You spend more time with your co-workers than you do your own family sometimes so why not make it a fun environment to work.
- Remember nothing is permanent. This is not to scare you, but rather to say that if things are not going well that you are not stuck. You do not have to stay in a place that is draining you. On the other hand if you do love your new job, remember that there is always someone who will want to take your job. Do not dwell on that fact, but make sure you are on top of your game. Everyone has ups and downs, but as long as you are still engaged in your job you will be find.
- Create balance in your life. Starting a new job can take a lot of your time at first while you get settled in, but remember that you do not live to work. You work to live. Remember that you have a personal life that also needs attention. Sometimes we get so focused on our professional lives that we forget to take care of our personal lives. Finding that balance can be hard, but if we are actively trying to get/maintain that balance then we will be more successful. Work hard and play hard. What is the point in killing yourself at work if you do not get to enjoy the spoils of your labor. Remember you matter to.
I am practicing all of this as well. I didn’t leave my company so some of these points are harder for me than if I did leave, but I am making an active effort for myself. I need to follow these “rules” in order to give myself the opportunity to be successful.
Remember if your dreams do not scare you, then they are not big enough. If you are thinking about taking a leap and going after a new job, I say do it! You got this! Go out into that world and show it how amazing you are!