Meeting the parents can be scary, but it can also be exciting at the same time. Meeting your significant others parents is a big deal. Most people don’t tend to introduce the person they are dating to their parents until they are sure about the relationship. There are exceptions to this, but most of the time meeting the parents is the next step in the relationship. If you have made it this far congratulations!! Meeting the parents means that you are an important person in your significant others life and so they want to introduce you to the other important people in their life. Sometimes meeting the friends is more important than meeting the parents. If that is the case then these rules can be followed as well.
Here are a few simple rules to help get you started:
1. Don’t freak out! Yes, it can be scary, but concentrate on the good things not the negative what if situations. Keep reminding yourself that your significant other wants you to meet them so they think that you are ready and it is the right time. Also remember that they don’t know you either so the parents will be just as nervous as you are.
2. They want to meet you! This is a big one to remember and yet most of us forget this part. The parents want to get to know the person that their child is crazy about. Up until this point they only know you through what your significant other has told them. There is also a chance that your significant other has not told them anything so this is the opportunity for the parents to get to know you.
3. Ask questions! Your significant other is a well of knowledge for you. This is your opportunity to learn as much as possible so you don’t go into this situation blind. Some good things to learn are what topics to stay away from. What their interests are so that if you share the same you will have some topics to talk about. Found out if there is any drama that you will need to stay away from. The last thing you want to do is put your foot in your mouth.
4. Use basic manners! If you have perfect manners then great, you can skip the rest of this and go onto number five. The most basic manners are please and thank you. The issue that I have is not my please and thank you, it is swearing. I am a lady, but I tend to swear like a sailor. I know this is not a good thing and I need to be better about it, but around the parents it is a no no. Make sure to be respectful even if someone else is not. Extra brownie points if you offer to help, mothers love that.
5. Know your audience! Two topics to stay away from as a general rule are politics and religion. If you know before hand, ask questions, that you share the same religious background or have the same opinions about politics then it is ok. Religion and politics can start a heated conversation, so if that is what you want then talk away.
6. Be yourself!! This is the most important rule. Do not try and be the person that you think they want you to be. If you do this then you will come off as fake. Your significant other fell for you, not someone else. Let your personality shine through. If your significant other told their parents about you then they will be excited to meet YOU.
The best advise I can give is to go into the situation with an open mind and always be respectful. If you are relaxed and be yourself, I am sure their parents will fall in love with you as your significant other did.
I just recently met my boyfriends’ parents, this Thanksgiving, and I can say that I was nervous, but I followed these rules and it went great. I can say that I wanted his mom to like me because he is close to his mom, but I didn’t change the way I did things, well I did not swear so for me that was a positive good life change. In my opinion things went really well, but just to make sure I asked my boyfriend and he said his mom liked me. I hope this helps you get through a scary situation.
Please share any rules or tips that would help others. The whole point of this is to share knowledge and help others get through life. Life can be hard so even a little help can make it easier.